Road To Germany :England Players
The World Cup Fever is on as tournament gets near . Being the most prestigious Football tournament , it features some of the best teams and some of the best players in the world .Ok , enough of this Intr …………lets get to the main thing .
In the Past few years i have noticed that football has become more popular in India also thanks to ESPN & Star Sports for showing regular English Premier League and Spanish League actions plus the international matches as well . As we know that the English Premier League is the most prestigious league in the world , and it is very popular in India also , so most of us will be supporting England for the World Cup . I have created this post to discuss ” Which England Players will make the World Cup Squad ”
England coach Sven Goran Eriksson will name the final 23 man squad for Germany on 15th May. Most of the places are already filled but still there are around 4-5 places up for grabs .
Considering there are no injuries to players , the starting 11 looks almost certain . Paul Robinson will be in the goal . Gary Neville is a surity for the Right Back Position and for the Left Back Ashley Cole is there if he can regain full fitness which i am sure he will do before the World Cup . There has been a lot of speculation surrounding the central defensive duo , but this time it looks certain that John Terry will partner Rio Ferdinand in defence following Campbell’s poor form and injury .
In the midfield David Beckham will fill the right wing role , Frank Lampard and Steven Gerrard will form the central midfield followed by Joe Cole who has booked the Left Wing role for himself following some his scintillating displays for Chelsea and England . Upfront there is no need for guessing as who can match the pair of Michael Owen and Wayne Rooney . Though Owen’s season has benn hampered by injuries , he is bound to make the squad but how well he will play will depend on his fitness.
Among the subsitutes David James will be an understudy to Paul Robinson while Jamie Carragher is sure to be there as he can play in almost every defensive position and he has also been performing well for Liverpool . Wayne Bridge is also likely to be there for the Left back position as he has been playing regularly for Fulham whom he has joined on loan . Ledley King will be a definite as he has already shown against Uruguay that he can play a holding midfield role if Eriksson demands plus he is also a superb central defender . Another player who is certain is Shaun Wright Phillips , his pace will be much needed there . Among the strikers Peter Crouch is almost certain because of his recent good form for Liverpool and also for his positive display for England against Uruguay .
Arsenal’s Sol Campbell who made his return to action against Portsmouth yesterday but for unfortunate to suffer a broken nose is also hopeful of making it to Germany provided he remains fit but a starting position looks out of question . Paul Konchesky , West Ham defender is likely to miss out if Bridge and Ashley Cole make it . Phil Neville , the utility man could also be called as Luke Young was out for the rest of the season . In the midfield position there is going to be a tough competiton between Michael Carrick , Jermaine Jenas , Owen hargreaves , all of them are playing well for there respective clubs . But the most realistic choice looks Carrick to me . Among the strikers one spot is also up for grabs and the fight will be between Jermain Defoe who has been impressive for Tottenham and Darren Bent of Charlton who has scored more than 17 goals in the premiership . The third Goalkeeping post will be filled by Robert Green of Norwich as Chris Kirkland is injured.
Set to miss out
- Glen Johnson : The young right back has not been a regular in Mouriniho’s side and so i likely to miss out .
- Wes Brown : His displays for Manchester UNited have been impressive in central defense but England having some great centre halves will not consider him.
- Stewart Downing : Touted as a solution for England left midfield problems , his place has now been taken by Joe Cole but there is still a hope as he has been playing well for Middlesbrough
- Kieran Richardson : Made a great England debue scoring 2 goals but has suffered from lack of oppurtunities at Man Utd and England and faces a tough competiton from Downing
- Andrew Johnson : Was impressive for Crystal Palace last season scoring more than 20 goals , was given his chance for England but was played out of position . Now because of his injury problems , hasnt found that form and with the Palace being in the championship , he selection will be a miracle
- Kevin Nolan : Has played well for Bolton all season , Sam Allaydayce beleives he should be given a chance but will definately miss out .
- Scott Parker : Another player who can play the holding midfield role , since his transfer to Newcastle , he has been a regular and his form has also been consistent .
With so many excellent players , it is sure going to be a headache for Eriksson to pick his team . So all you soccer fans out there do tell me which players do you think deserve a place in the squad and what is your opinion about the starting Eleven ?
As the World Cup gets near i will be posting info about the teams participating in the cup . SO do Watch out for it ………….Enjoy……………..